Specializations of Administrative Divisions
- Proposing the general policy of the media in line with the general policy of the State and submitting it to the Council of the Ministers for consideration and recommendation before submitting it to His Majesty for adoption as well as developing media plans and programs to ensure its implementation and following it up.
- Proposing draft laws and issuing regulations in the areas of work of the Ministry and ensuring their good implementation.
- Issuing publications and conducting studies and research related to media fields to serve the goals of the general policy of the media and media plans.
- Working on providing citizens with adequate information on the internal and external events and developments witnessed by the Sultanate, through the different means of the media, characterized by honesty and objectivity.
- Working on enlightening the world public opinion of the foundations of the Sultanate's policies and principles on which they are based as well as the progress and development landmarks taking place in the Sultanate in addition to the Sultanate’s stance to the local, regional and global issues and events.
- Working on raising awareness and knowledge in addition to employing the media message to bring awareness and cultural openness through the media with the guarantee of freedom of opinion and expression in accordance with law.
- Working on the continuity of the Omani presence in the media means.
- Paying attention to the national press as well as providing all the possible facilities to make them perform their functions.
- Supporting creative talents and working on refining them in the media fields.
- Supporting and developing cooperation with organizations and institutions in regional and international media fields and representing the Sultanate in regional and international meetings and conferences relevant to the areas of the Ministry's work.
- All other terms of reference assigned to the Ministry under the laws and royal decrees.
- Working on qualifying the media cadres to raise the level of their performance and competencies.
The Minister’s Office
The Minister’s Office specializes in the following area:
- Collecting data and information needed by the Minister.
- Preparing for meetings to be held at the Minister’s Office; Updating the ‘Meeting File’ or opening new files for a specific topics.
- Drafting and registering minutes of meetings held at the Minister’s Office, and following up the implementation of decisions taken during those meetings.
- Presenting incoming mail messages (correspondences) and reports to the Minister and writing replies to these messages in accordance with the Minister’s instructions.
- Opening and keeping a daily activity log for the tasks carried out by the Ministry’s divisions; Log to be presented to the Minister.
- Organizing and arranging the Minister’s interviews and meetings.
- Drafting and following up studies, research and reports and documenting data by using modern techniques.
- Following up the implementation of approved public relations plans at the Ministry.
- Participating in the tasks of boards and committees where the Minister acts as chairman or member.
- Carrying out any other tasks assigned to the Minister’s Office as long as these fall within the scope of the office’s specialization.
The Under-Secretary (Specialization of Experts):
- Offering opinion about topics forwarded to them by the Under-Secretary.
- Presenting proposals about ways to promote the standard of performance at the Ministry.
- Conducting studies and research about topics forwarded for research by the Under-Secretary.
- Carrying out any other tasks that are assigned to them by the Under-Secretary within the scope of their specialization.
The Under-Secretary’s Office:
-Receiving incoming correspondences or mail messages and presenting them to the Under-Secretary; Writing replies and sending them to the departments concerned as per the Under-Secretary’ instructions.
- Drafting letters and memos about topics that are forwarded to the Under-Secretary.
- Collecting data and information needed by the Under-Secretary and presenting them to him.
- Carrying out assisting office jobs like coping, printing and scanning or photography for the Under-Secretary’s Office.
- Preparing for and organizing meetings of committees where the Under-Secretary acts as member and liaising with the departments concerned.
- Preparing minutes of meetings held at the Under-Secretary’ office and following up the implementation of decisions taken at these meetings.
- Keeping log of daily activities of departments affiliated to the Under-Secretary office and presenting the same to the Under-Secretary.
- Keeping files and documents necessary for the tasks of the office and maintaining their secrecy.
- Following up topics that are forwarded by the Under-Secretary to different divisions of the Ministry and drafting reports about the same.
- Carrying out any other tasks within the specialization of the Under-Secretary office.
Information Offices in Governorates (having status of ‘Department’) are responsible for the following:
- Receiving applications for licenses stated in media laws and legislations governing print and electronic publications, works of art (literary, graphic and aesthetic products) and private radio and television installations, as well as licenses pertaining to the statutes on works of art and private radio and television installations.
- Conducting field visits to establishments governed by the Law on Publications, Publishing, the Law on Artworks, the Law on Private Radio and TV facilities, as well as drafting reports about the extent to which these establishments comply with the law.
- Receiving media material and technical material stated in media laws and legislations related to publications, publishing, works of art and private radio and TV installations and undertaking necessary action on the same.
- Following up book exhibitions that are held in governorates and all activities related to media laws, besides preparing reports about adherence to the law.
- Taking legal action on the protection of copy rights in liaison with the Directorate General of Publications and Artworks at the Ministry.
- Offering assistance to reporters and correspondents of media agencies in governorates to help them carry out their jobs.
- Drafting reports on shifts.
- Preparing an Annual Report about the activities of district offices.
- Any other tasks assigned to them that fall within the scope of their specializations.
Directorate General of Digital Media:
This department of the Ministry specializes in the following:
- Devising an annual plan for its own functions and following up its implementation with the departments concerned.
- Carrying out the Ministry’s policies in the field of electronic media.
- Fully covering news of the Sultanate and government institutions, according to the procedures in force, and publishing this news in the internet.
- Preparing digital media material that enhances national identity and solidarity, as well as development in social, cultural, economic and tourism fields.
- Providing comprehensive and accurate information about the Sultanate in technically viable media templates with multiple digital interfaces and publishing the same in the Ministry’s websites and on internet.
- Daily updating the database of the Ministry’s websites and its intranet (internal network) and ensuring its functionality.
- Activating communication channels and contacts via the internet; positioning the Sultanate intensively in the internet, highlighting the country’s cultural, economic and social aspects, as well as tourism potential and history.
- Following up, spotting, collecting, analyzing and documenting information published in the internet about the Sultanate and preparing reports on the same.
- Updating the Ministry’s websites with fresh media material and diverse items about the Sultanate in line with the Ministry’s policy
- Preparing annual reports about the Directorate General of Digital Media.
- Any other tasks assigned to the directorate that fall within the scope of its specialization.
Directorate General of Publications and Artworks
This directorate specializes in the following:
- Enforcing the laws organizing media work and other pertinent regulations and decisions.
- Assessing Omani newspapers and magazines in accordance with prescribed forms designed for this purpose; following up the reports and articles written by journalists; Establishing a database of their names and posts.
- Following up all that is published, transmitted and broadcast via Omani media and presenting an immediate report, if necessary, with a view to implementing the laws and legislations organizing media work.
- Receiving applications for licenses state in the Law on Publication and Publishing, the Law on Artworks and the Law on Private Radio and TV Installations/Establishments; Conducting field visits to these establishments.
- Checking publications and works of art before they are published in the Sultanate and implementing the procedures stated in the Law on Publications and Publishing and the Law on Artworks.
- Registering literary and media works of art.
- Undertaking legal action that is capable of protecting copy rights in liaison with the departments concerned.
- Preparing an Annual Report about this directorate.
- Any other tasks assigned to this directorate that falls within the scope of its specialization.
Directorate General of External Information
This directorate specializes in the following:
- Devising an annual plan for this department of the ministry and following its implementation in liaison with the departments concerned.
- Implementing the Ministry’s policy in the field of information through a follow-up of media plans and programmes.
- Coordinating with official departments and other establishments to obtain information and shaping these data into media reports with a view to publishing them through media agencies.
- Monitoring and documenting all that pertains to the Sultanate from Arab and international press publications.
- Following up information cooperation agreements and protocols with Arab and friendly countries; Preparing for meetings of joint committees and drafting reports about the outcomes and proposals in this context.
- Monitoring and analyzing the stands of GCC, Arab and international press publications in all that concerns events in the Sultanate.
- Preparing press releases, newsletters and media materials that comprise the most important news and topics about the Sultanate with a view to publishing these in foreign media agencies.
- Working to provide foreign press with news, articles and pictures that highlight the Sultanate’s achievements, events and activities.
- Sending invitations for visits of journalists and media personnel to the Sultanate; Preparing programmes of meetings of these personnel and their field visits.
- Following up the work of reporters and representatives of external media in the Sultanate.
- Following up the process of meetings of regional and international media establishments and organizations in which the Sultanate is a member; Preparing for participation in these meetings.
- Following up the activities of media attaché departments abroad with a view to monitoring the specific tasks assigned to them; Implementing the Ministry’s policies in the field of external media.
- Participating in media events and exhibitions and sending press invitations during national and official occasions.
- Preparing an Annual Report about the activities of this directorate.
- Any other tasks assigned to it that come within the scope of its specializations.
Directorate General of Administrative and Financial Affairs
This directorate specializes in the following:
- Applying the provisions of the Civil Service Law and its bylaw, provisions of the Financial Law and its bylaw and financial circulars and amendments, the Government Tenders Law and other laws and bylaws in force that pertain to the Ministry’s internal transactions.
- Drafting the Ministry’s annual budget, as well as financial estimates for plans, programmes and studies on the Ministry’s developmental projects; Revising all these materials in preparation for submitting them to the departments concerned.
- Carrying out organizational development operations within the Ministry and preparing studies related to the system of work with a view to streamlining procedures, planning of manpower, classification and balancing of jobs and assessment of the organizational structure’s competence; Studying means of improving the styles of performance and raising the level of productivity.
- Preparing the annual plan of training and qualification of the Ministry’s employees in accordance with available financial allocations and criteria organizing this process in liaison with other organizational divisions within the Ministry; Cross-checking the soundness of financial discretions undertaken within the scope of financial allocations and checking the safety of procedures pertaining to the Ministry’s procurements.
- Following up the progress of plans and developmental tasks and projects of the Ministry.
- Preparing an Annual Plan for the priorities of work at this directorate, and programming the implementation of these priorities throughout the year; Submitting reports about achievements and obstacles, if any.
- Any other tasks assigned to this directorate within the scope of its specialization.
Specializations of Administrative Divisions